Romans 10:18

David R. Mills dmills at mitec.net
Wed Mar 8 17:35:23 EST 2000

Could someone clarify the relationship between MH OUK and the MENOUNGE in Romans 10:18?

ALLA LEGW, MH OUK HKOUSAN; MENOUNGE, ... EXHLQEN hO FQOGGOS AUTWN.

Funk (Grammar, pp. 220-21) says the question (Have they not heard?) anticipates a positive answer, but Robertson (Word Pictures, IV, p. 390) says the question (Have they failed to hear?) anticipates a negative answer.  Doesn't an anticipated positive answer require "indeed" as the meaning of MENOUNGE?  Doesn't an anticipated negative answer require "on the contrary"?  I would think so, but Robertson and the NASB use "yea, verily" or "Indeed" with an anticipated negative answer.  These appear rather odd to me in English.  Am I wrong, or am I misunderstanding something?

David & Sharon Mills
http://www.mitec.net/~dmills