Tit 1:1-2

Brian Swedburg brian at discoveryhills.org
Mon Jan 24 19:39:05 EST 2000

Greetings!
    I am attempting to sort out the use of KATA twice in Titus 1:1, and
the use of EPI in 1:2.

PAULOS DOULOS QEOU APOSTOLOS DE IHSOU XRISTOU KATA PISTIN EKLEKTWN QEOU
KAI EPIGNWSIN ALHQEIS THS KAT  EUSEBEIAN EP ELPIDI ZWHS AIWNIOU...

Actually, my present paper involves articulating the meassage and themes
of Titus as a literary whole.  The correct interpretation of these first
verses seems key to the task at hand!

    Having consulted some lexicons and grammers, I think the following
translation is possible, and I will explain my reasoning after.  Then, I
would love your feedback and gentle criticism!

Paul, servant of God and apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of God's
chosen and the knowledge of the truth which is for godliness in hope  of
eternal life...

So, I have translated both occurences of KATA as functioning to indicate
purpose, and the EPI as functioning to indicate cause.  I think this is
grammatically possible, and seems in keeping with the author's desire to
call the elders and  the young and old to godliness in keeping with the
faith.  See also 2:11-13 which I understand to say something to the
effect of ' The saving grace (Christ) has appeared, teaching us to live
godly lives, encouraged by the hope Christ will return'

Please note, my explanation has been an attempt at contextualizing the
grammatical questions in the literature as a whole.  I am not making
theological commentary, just suggesting a unifying theme.

So, what do you all think?

Brian
Western Sem. Student