PTOCOI PNEUMATI (was re: Heb 13:5)

Jeffrey B. Gibson jgibson000 at mailhost.chi.ameritech.net
Sat Jan 8 12:01:21 EST 2000

"Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

> I note that what you'll find there from me is an argument, based upon the usage
> of phrases identical with or approximating the Matthean phrase,  PTOCOI PNEUMATI
> has a titular sense roughly if not exactly  equivalent to "we, the elect, the
> faithful
> remnant, those who in times of persecution remain loyal to the covenant" and has
> little to do with economic status, let alone any kind of  "spiritual"
> impoverishment

Please note that there is an ellipsis in what I wrote above. What I meant to write
was:

I note that what you'll find there from me is an argument, based upon the usage
of phrases in the Dead Sea Scrolls  identical with or approximating the Matthean
phrase,  PTOCOI PNEUMATI has a titular sense roughly if not exactly  equivalent to
"we, the elect, the faithful remnant, those who in times of persecution remain loyal
to the covenant" and has little to do with economic status, let alone any kind of
"spiritual" impoverishment.

I also meant to draw attention to the fact that there is an interesting discussion of
the sense of the term from the perspective of Honour/Shame in Jerome Neyrey's _Honor
and Shame in the Gospel of Matthew_ which argues that the poor spoken of in Matthew
are the recently dispossessed -- ie, those who have, through wilful exploitation and
machinations on the part of the powerful, have been deprived of their rightful
property. This seems to me, however, given the parallels to PTOCOI PNEUMATI in the
DSS, to be more consonant with Luke than with Matthew.

Yours,

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson