discourse boundary markers in Luke :February 28, 1999

George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 09:40:08 EST 1999

CV Writes:

>For the past couple of weeks I have been greatly challenged by looking
>at the LXX translation in comparison to its Hebrew parent text; ie. the
>MT. This past week I was asked to research how the Greek handles the
the
>Hebrew narrative marker or time indicator throughout the book of
>Genesis: the waw-consecutive Qal imperfect of HYaH. Almost every
>instances found uses the same construction found here in Luke: EGENETO
>DE, KAI EGENETO, and KAI EGENETO META, are all used to represent this
>simple Hebrew construct and a basic change of seen. I was actually
>thinking to myself this afternoon as to whether or not this was a
>Hebraism or if it was simply good Greek. Wouldn't it be helpful to look
>at the origins of this construct to see if we can come to a better
>understanding of what Luke is doing semantically? To see if this Greek
>construct has in fact been born out of the LXX literature or if it has
>more of a Hellenistic side to it? Perhaps this will help us come to a
>better conclusion as to how these narrative/time indicators are
>represented lexically and syntactically.

And the synoptics generally and John as well?

Perhaps the LXX [or just Genesis] can be used as the lexical 'Rosetta
stone' for understanding Greek word usages in the NT by Hebraic writers.
Has anyone looked at the LXX this way?  And if so, have there been
consistent results?  Have they been published?  Is Bible Greek really
Hebraic Greek?  Paul would seem to be the only exception...?

George

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA