1 John 1:1-Genitive of Connection?

Ilvgrammta at aol.com Ilvgrammta at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 14:15:08 EST 1999

Dear B-Greekers,

1 John 1:5 reads:

hO HN AP' ARXHS hO AKHKOAMEN hO hEWRAKAMEN TOIS OFQALMOIS hHMWN hO EQEASAMEQA
KAI hAI XEIRES hHMWN EYHLAFHSAN PERI TOU LOGOU THS ZWHS.

In his _First John Reader_ S.M. Baugh writes that THS ZWHS is a "genitive of
connection." (where the word in the genitive highlights the subject matter of
discourse. In this case, the "word of life.")

What is a genitive of connection? Is this another category formulated to
classify and tag syntactical functions? I've looked in other grammars and
have yet to find a "genitive of connection." Maybe I've been looking in the
wrong places, but I would love to know more about this subject.

Edgar Foster