Prov 30:4

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Wed Dec 1 15:26:25 EST 1999

At 11:45 AM 12/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>   Prov 30:4 has "...what is his name, and what is his son's name...."(KJV)
>The MT has 'BEN' for "son" in the singular whereas the LXX has "hUIOOI" (I
>believe this is how it is spelled, I don't have the text before me), "sons"
>in the plural. Any ideas as to why the LXX uses the plural in Greek while
>the Hebrew MT uses the singular "son"? Many thanks.

the consonantal text is ambiguous here- it is beth nun waw.  now depending
on how one points this word one ends up with either the singular or the
plural.  i.e., beno - his son; whilst benaw = his sons...

so- the greek scribe read the plural while the kjv followed the singular.

best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest at highland.net