Rom 12:15 infinitives

Christopher Hutson crhutson at salisbury.net
Fri Aug 6 11:23:45 EDT 1999

Mike Sangrey <mike at sojurn.lns.pa.us> wrote:

>Can someone help me understand how the infinitives are being used here?
>
>Rom. 12:14-15 -
>   EULOGEITE TOUS DIWKONTAS,
>   EULOGEITE KAI MH KATAPASQE.
>   CAIREIN META CAIRONTWN,
>   KLAIEIN META KLAIONTWN.
>
>I want to connect CAIREIN and KLAIEIN with some verb and subject,
>e.g. EULOGEITE; however, that doesn't seem to fit.  What's Paul
>doing here?

These two infinitives in 15 are parallel to the two imperatives in 14.  This
is a good example of imperatival infinitive.  The imperatival infinitive
sounds a little odd to English ears, because we don't use it much.  But *not
to worry*!  Look at BDF 389 for an explanation.  For classical usage, see
Smyth 2013, which cites Aristophanes, Achanarians 1000, a nice parallel to
Rom 12:14-15, in that it contains an imperative followed by an imperatival
infinitive:

AKOUETE LEWi.  KATA TA PATRIA TOUS XOAS PINEIN.

Smyth translates:  "Hear ye, good people!  Drink the pitchers as our sires
drank!"

Cheers,

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson