[acawiki-general] Fwd: comments on BibTeX import, from Jim Pitman

Daniel Mietchen daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 16:07:40 EDT 2009

Hi Jodi,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Jodi Schneider <jodi at acawiki.org> wrote:
> Do you think it would make sense for the user to pick what field to use for
> the summary, when importing from BibTeX? This could be the note, abstract,
> or a custom field (since BibTeX ignores fields that aren't in the original
> spec.)
I would say this depends on how highly you value corporate design at AcaWiki.
The more important it is, the less design options remain for the users.

Having said that, I would strive for a clear definition of what a
"summary" should
be and contain, and display it along with the form in which the user can choose
amongst these three options, with abstract being the default.

> As you say, 'note' may hold other information. But 'abstract' is a bit
> problematic because the summary may not be the paper's abstract.
>
>> By the way, do you plan to make the code for the BibTeX importer open?
> I'll ask our programmer about this!
Thanks!

Daniel